I thought it looked easy enough, and went to the pie filling website to find a recipe- only to find none! I was kind of surprised by that, since they used it as an advertising ploy.
After looking around online, I came to the conclusion that they are as easy as "pie" to make. Since then, I've made numerous batches, and always get complimented on my "Gourmet" cupcakes, and asked for more! The basic recipe is simple.
Gourmet Filled Cupcakes
What You'll Need:
1 Box of prepared Cake mix, unbaked
1 can of pie filling
1 can of frosting
- Simply prepare the cake batter according to the directions. Fill the liners about 1/3rd of the way, enough to cover the bottom with a decent layer of batter.
- Next, scoop some pie filling into the center of each cupcake, taking care not to get it too close to the edges. Last, cover the pie filling with more cake batter.
- Bake according to the directions on the cake mix. Once they've cooled, frost, and serve!
- Blueberry Pie Filling with Vanilla Cake & Vanilla Frosting
- Cherry Pie Filling with German Chocolate Cake & Vanilla Frosting
- Cherry & Blueberry Pie Filling (left over from the previous 2 batches!) with White Cake & Vanilla Frosting
- Strawberry Pie Filling with Yellow Cake & Strawberry Frosting
- Raspberry Pie Filling with White Cake & Vanilla Frosting
- Apple Pie Filling with Spice Cake & Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Pie Filling, drizzled with Caramel Ice Cream Sauce, with Spice Cake & spread with Caramel Topping instead of Frosting.
These make about 26-30 cupcakes, depending on how filling the fruit is. They make for a fantastic addition to a party, reunion, or just as a special treat. My husband took quite a few in to work, and my neighbor is constantly asking for more!