Well, when I went to cut it apart this morning, I couldn't do it. The shirt was cute by itself, but it was a long sleeve, thermal underwear type shirt- too warm for summer! So, I just started snipping away here and there, and I love what I came up with!
1 Long Sleeve Shirt
1 pair of shorts
Needle & thread for hand sewing
(Ignore the messy looking floor...)
- Cut the sleeves off- I did this as tight to the seams as possible, while leaving the seam attached to the shirt.
- Split the sleeves up the seam, to open it up to a larger bit of fabric. Again, stick close to the seam. To do this, I put the sleeve around my hand, so my fingers could stretch the fabric while I cut.
- Stare at the shirt for 20 minutes deciding what you want to do with it. Or, decide that ahead of time, and skip this step.
- Using one of the sleeves, cut long strips of fabric. Serge or zig zag one side to stop fraying.
- At this point, I decided the shirt was pretty long (it's a size larger than Cadee needs anyway), so I cut the bottom half inch off, and reused that fabric.
- Now, with two matching length strips of fabric from the shirt, I found the middle, pinned it upside down to the outside of the sleeve opening, then pinned it around. I tucked the ends inward before pinning. I sewed these on, which created a slight shoulder ruffle, so the shirt has a bit of femininity to the shape.
- Straight stitch one side of 2 more of the fabric strips, then gather them, and sew the two ends together to create a flower shape. I attached 1 larger one to the right side of the shorts, and the smaller one to the left shoulder of the shirt.
- Cut a heart shape from the remaining sleeve fabric. Applique to the rear of the shorts.
- Hand sew buttons into the centers of the "flowers", to finish the look. Make sure to get them nice and tight with strong thread!
All in all, I love how it turned out, especially for me having NO idea in mind for the shirt (heck, there wasn't even going to BE a shirt till I started!). I wanted to do a ruffle butt, but opted against it. I also considered doing ruffles around the leg openings, but again, opted against it.
Total cost (for me) was $.98. The clothing pieces were $.49 each. The buttons were in my huge button jar.
This could easily be done with all on-hand items, though, reusing clothing that is stained, or old, or out of season.