Wednesday, November 18, 2009

1 Sweater = Hat & Scarf Set!

Photobucket

Also featured on Sewing Gossip!



Yesterday, I made a trip to the local Goodwill AS-IS center, which sells items that don't sell fast enough in the regular Goodwill stores. It takes in items from as many as 15 near-by Goodwill's, so they have quite the selection. Items are marked down according to what they are, and how much it was to begin with. Nothing is more than $3.29, or cheaper than $.29, though.After seeing so many neat tutorials lately using sweaters as a base, I decided to try my hand at some. I scooped up probably 7 or 8 sweaters for $.79 each, and 1 children's sweater for only $.29. I didn't get real fancy, just quick & easy projects.

Sweater Hat & Scarf Set

You'll Need:

1 old sweater- For children, get an XL children's sweater, or SM adult sweater. For adults, XL works best. This is more for scarf length than for the hat, though.
Sewing Machine
Thread
Scissors
Yarn* OptionalCarefully cut the sleeves off the sweater first, right at the seam.
  1. Turn the sleeves inside out. You'll notice that in the large opening, the top where it met the shoulder is going to be wider than the bottom part of the opening. Smooth the sleeves flat, and turn one upside down, so that the curves meet each other- wide to narrow. If you put it narrow to narrow and wide to wide, you'll have a V shaped scarf!
  2. Pin the edges together, and sew the seams together, taking care not to sew the tube it forms together.
  3. Turn it right side out, and you have a quick, easy scarf! You can embellish it further, if you like.
  4. For the hat, first measure the person's head. You'll want to add 1 inch for seam allowance to that measurement. Measure it out on the sweater. I measured half of it, and cut using the side seam. For the height, children's hats work good at 10 inches in height. Adults work good at 12 inches. Make sure to make use of the waist line, if there is a different stitch- this makes for a great band on the hat!
  5. Once you have cut the fabric for the hat, stitch the open seam straight up with the machine.
  6. For the top of the hat, you can stitch straight across, but for a more fitted look, I made a cross style seam- I sewed an inch inward on the two edges, then puffed out the open section to create two side seams doing the same. You will want to round this off, or you will have a "crown" on the hat, and (not that I know this from personal experience -innocent-), your 13 year old daughter will look at you like you are nuts in requesting that she wear it to school. Of course, I did not get a photo of this. Here, have a nifty drawing!
  7. Admit it, I should have been an artist. Here is another drawing, showing how to curve the seam.
  8. Once you have rounded it off, turn it right side out for a cute little hat! I also made a "puff ball" (I use that term loosely, since it was not a ball, but rather like curly cooked spaghetti) for the top of my youngest daughter's hat set. To do this, I wrapped a lot of yarn around my fingers, then tied it together, and cut the loops. It was too long, but I still thought it was really cute. I hand stitched the puff ball to the top.

Pretty easy, huh? It took me maybe 20 minutes to make this set, and cost me all of $.29! I still have enough sweater left over for another hat, or a pair of mittens, too! However, since my almost-8-year-old refuses to wear anything but gloves, I skipped the mittens.

I made a set for my 13 year old daughter, and one for myself as well. I also did a scarf for my step-mom, but haven't completed the hat yet. Each set was under $1 to make, and they look great. Most of them were made from thick, bulky sweaters, for warmth. My own set was made from a thin white sweater, but it matched my jacket!

My next project after this set, is the set of hats below, also made from just 1 sweater! Are they not adorable? I love them!

12 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Love this idea! I just posted it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my featured button.

lovemyabbie@gmail.com said...

I'm so excited to find this, we have a couple sweaters I couldn't bear to part with and now we'll have a good use for them.

Expressions by Heather said...

Thank you so much Michelle!

Abbie- I've been in that same boat in the past, and wound up donating them. Now I wish I had kept them!

Terrie said...

I'm sharing it with my readers too - I'm making a crafting round-up post and can't wait to see the comments on this clever idea.
Terrie @ YourDecoratingHotline

Anne said...

Okay, so my friend and I are salivating at the thought of a Goodwill AS-IS center. As if Goodwill isn't cheap enough! I've GOT to see where the closest one is. Love your project! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-winter-hat-and-scarf-from-a-sweater/2009/11/20/

--Anne

Betsy said...

What a wonderful idea!!!!! Love to recycle!

Expressions by Heather said...

Thank you so much everyone! If you make some of these, please let me know! I'd love to see what others come up with!

Casserole (cute name, btw!)- the AS-IS center is something that isn't found all that often, but it's a real treasure! I'm in there 2-3 times a week, digging for more goodies. I've found designer jeans there, brand new- I'm talking $200 jeans for $.99! LOVE it!

Holly said...

They turned out great! I love the ones with the button, too!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

I love them!

I need to visit our Goodwill As-Is center. I've never been. Can you believe that? I've heard stories about having to take gloves because broken glass is mixed in with the bins you have to dig through. I'm scared, but I'm thinking about trying it.

Expressions by Heather said...

Oh, that would scare me, as well, Lindsey! Ours has all the clothing on tables with an edge, and all the other items on shelves lining the walls, or if it's too large, on the floor. I'd be terrified of broken glass, too!

Wanda said...

Okay, disregard the part about scarves from my last comment. These are a stroke of genius! I can't wait until our Goodwill reduces the price of all winter sweaters!

Judylee said...

Love it. You are so creative and your drawings are very understandable. Photos are a help. I live in the cold U.P. of Michigan and can't wait to get started on a hat and scarf for myself. Any chance you might include the mitten instructions? Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to everyone.