Monday, March 22, 2010

Talented Tuesday

Interested in sponsoring next week's Talented Tuesday post with your own crafts, shop items, or a tutorial? Contact me for details at herberkids3(at)yahoo(dot)com!

Welcome to another edition of Talented Tuesday. For today's post, I am showing off a wall hanging I did for my Mom's bathroom, as a follow up to the wall hanging set I helped her make for her kitchen. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out!

For this set, I had a concrete idea in mind. My mom recently repainted her bathroom from yellow to a pale lime green, with white wainscotting. She changed out her shower curtain from yellow flowers to green, blue, brown, and white stripes. Now, we just need to add a few things to the room!

Over the weekend, we picked up lots of supplies for the main project, including paint we never even opened, too much scrapbook paper, and a couple extra canvases, for a "Just In Case" moment. We wound up not needing those.

Star Wall Hanging

You'll Need:
Dollar Tree Pre-Printed Canvas
Paint
Mod Podge
Scrapbook Paper
3-D Paper Mache Barn Star
Hot Glue


  1. Paint the edges and part of the top of each canvas in the color of your choosing. I used Moss Green. I painted about 1 1/2" in on the tops. Let it dry, then add another coat if needed. My white bird picture needed 2 coats, and the brown lily picture needed 3 to cover the darker colors.
  2. Paint your stars the color of your choice while the pictures dry. I used 2 coats of Moss Green, but one would have been enough.
  3. Using a wet paintbrush, add a darker color paint to the stars, especially in the edges. I used plain old Brown, very watered down. Once it's coated, wipe it off with a damp paper towel. Repeat until you've achieved a good distressed look. I also used a brown pad of Distress Ink to just lightly ghost over the top ridges of the stars, so the brown was a bit darker in spots.
  4. Measure out two squares of scrapbook paper. I had a lot, but ended up deciding to use the same paper for both. Cut it just a bit larger than you want, then tear the edges for a more ragged, rustic look.
  5. If you want, you can distress those edges with ink. I used Vintage Photo Distress Ink to do this, and very lightly distressed the paper itself.
  6. Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the picture, and press your paper on, smoothing out the wrinkles as you go. Apply another thin coat, coating the entire front and sides of the picture. I chose Glossy for this project.
  7. Hot glue the star onto the front of the picture, and Viola! You're done!


Notes-
It only took me about 15 minutes to do this, NOT counting the time I was waiting for the paint to dry. It might be easier to paint it, and go about doing something else, then going back to it. If you try to paint over it before it's fully dry, it wipes the paint off due to the plastic like feeling from the pictures.

Like my last project, this project is fully customizable to any decor with the multitude of paints and scrapbook paper available.

Total Costs:
DT Canvas- $1/each, $2 total
Scrapbook Paper- $.59, half used, $.30 total
Barn Stars- $.50/each, $1 total (actually, I think I got them cheaper, back at Christmas, but I can't recall. They've just been sitting here ever since)
Paint- $.50 (while this WAS on hand, it was a brand new bottle, so I'll count the cost. We got it 2/$1 at Michael's this past weekend).

End Cost: $3.80, or $1.90 each.






The Rules


1) Post a blog about something you've made- a refurnish, recipes, a craft project, a sewing project, room decoration, anything you've done!

2) Add a link to your blog post- not to the blog itself, but to the individual posts! You can post more than one project, just add more links! The links should look something like:

http://theherberfamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/love-banner.html

and NOT like this:

http://theherberfamily.blogspot.com/

3) Add the code below to each post you link to the MckLinky, so that others can post their projects here as well! The list will accept new links through Saturday, so if you make something new, come back and post it! Don't forget to look at the links on the list, and let people know where you found their post at!

This MckLinky will remain open and accepting links through Thursday evening!! 







Photobucket






32 comments:

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Love how they turned out! Great colors too! Canvas makes such great inexpensive wall art - I have used it a lot...plus you get a custom piece! The added star is darling! Thanks for hosting! Happy Spring!

Leanne said...

Thanks for hosting again. It turned out great. I love canvas too.

Embellished Bayou said...

Great project! Thanks for hosting the party again.

Unknown said...

I love how your project turned out, I have to snag some of those printed canvases! Thanks for hosting, I'm looking forward to partying tomorrow! ;)

-Ann Marie

Heidi said...

cute project, they turned out great!

Unknown said...

Love the star plaque! way cute! GOOD JOB! JGG

ashley @ little miss momma said...

Great Link Party and awesome project, they turned out adorable!
Thanks for hosting!Great Blog!

Sophie said...

Oh, I love that! There are so many links up already so I definitely need to get cracking!

Unknown said...

These turned out so cool! I am definitely going to have to give this a try!

Chrissy said...

Great project! I love it! And thanks for hosting this!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

Great job! Thanks for the terrific link party!

Sherri said...

Awesome thrifty project! Great colors and beautiful art.

Heather said...

Love your stars, they are really cute! Thanks for sharing!

Fancy Pants said...

Thank you for hosting a fun party!

Veronica said...

Very cute. I love how they turned out. I might have to give it a try.

Expressions by Heather said...

Thank you so much everyone- and you're very welcome for hosting the party! I love seeing all the cool stuff you talented ladies (and gents?) come up with each week!

MrsJenB said...

AMAZING how big this party is! :-) I love checking out all the work every week!

Lisa B. said...

Heather those look wonderful.

Thanks for hosting the link up and stopping by my site again. I'm still looking around here, also love the "phone number" art you did.

The Little Red Shop said...

What a fun project! I'm joining your party for the first time. Thank you so much for hosting!

: )

Julie M.

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Those stars are so cute! I'm picturing a block of them in my little munchkin's room. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Polly said...

I LOVE your blog!! I love anything homemade as it means so much more! I have done crafts of every description, but, now that I am retired, I find it next to impossible to buy my basic supplies when I once had so many little goodies I had to store my supplies in storage tubs! HAH! That is no longer the case so I am especially happy to find you with projects that are within almost everyone's reach!! You are very talented and creative. Thank you so. so much for all the wonderful ideas.

Katie @ Team Skelley said...

Hello! Thank you for hosting the party this week. My project is a little different than normal, I hope that is OK! Next week's is very similar to what you did here, except without the Modge Podge. MP and I did not seem to see eye to eye! :D

Anonymous said...

That's a whole lot of impact for not much money. A wonderful project. Thank you for linking today to the Boardwalk Bragfest and sharing this great project!

Anonymous said...

Did you forget to put the link for the Boardwalk Bragfest or am I just missing it? If you didn't enter the link, please do so. I'll check back in a bit. Thanks so much!

Tailored Trash Queen said...

I love this wall art and want to try it myself! Thanks for hosting McLinky today!

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

What a great idea! These are super cute! It helps that I love star decor! Thanks for showing us how to make these.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

That is really cool! Thanks for sharing! : )

Lori said...

These turned out great!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party. Don’t forget to stop by and enter my giveaway. I’ll announce the winner at next weeks party!

LuckyStarErin said...

Super Cute and easy, too! Thanks for linking..now I found your party!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Very cute... love the torn paper! Thanks for sharing at the POPP.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Very cute--look worthy of Pottery Barn. Thanks for linking up!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love barn stars! So cute and I enjoyed all the links!! Thanks!!