Saturday, December 12, 2009

Glitter... Everywhere!

In a classic bout of, "Just WHAT was I thinking?!??", I finished a project last night. I didn't get good photos of it, because it was dark out. The flash washes it out, and the natural light turned everything yellow. Ugh. Today I will get some natural light photos.

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d817/d110/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

Where should I start? Earlier this week, the night the storm was just starting, Nick had to run into Lansing, so we both went. Of course, we stopped at Michaels, as well. While looking around, I was hesitant to pick up any Christmas specific crafts (because I still have many, and because, frankly, I have too much to get done before Christmas), but Nick found a cute set. It has 2 reindeer and a sleigh, all flat wood, but they have stands with them, so they can stand up. I liked it, but said no, but Nick realized I liked it, and stuck it in the cart. It was on clearance for $2.49.

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d816/d110/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

Thursday night, I was contemplating what to do with it. I could certainly decoupage it, but I was worried at the time involved in getting the paper cut just right, and hesitated to do it. Then, I got "The Idea". You know... "The Idea" that later turned into "Just WHAT was I thinking?!??"

What was it? Oh, sure- "Why not cover the entire thing in glitter?" -slapface- Yes, glitter. It's not huge, but it is good sized. Each piece is about the size of a regular paperback novel. Ok, so here I am, with this brilliant idea to cover them in glitter. I had plain mod podge finally (also thanks to the mid-week Michaels run), and plenty of glitter left over from the craft day we had last weekend.

Gold for the reindeer, and red and gold for the sleigh, is what I was thinking. I wasn't sure what to do with the stands yet. Friday morning I sat down to do it. I wasn't sure what to use under it, but knew I should have something. I used a big ziplock bag, simply because it was sitting there. Note- they aren't horrible, but they are not, perhaps, the best surface for keeping ALL the glitter where it belongs.

After 1 coat, it became apparent that a second coat would be needed. Maybe not an entire second coat, but at least a spotty second coat. The first reindeer I did, I added a full second coat, but it used way too much glitter. On the next side, I used only 1 coat, and then did spot fill where needed, and you can't really see a difference.

Either way, I had only gotten two sides of 1 deer done, and 1 side of the second deer done when I ran out of gold glitter. Sadness! Dollar Tree run, it was!

When I came back, I was armed with a lot more glitter. And other stuff. I set the project aside, though, for a bit.

I just got done with it. I was naive when I started, and opted to glitter all the EDGES of the reindeer as well- despite some spots that were extremly hard to get the mod podge into. On the sleigh, I did not. Today I will use glitter glue to cover the edges. It won't match exactly, but it will cover the edges without my sanity being the victim.

In the end, I had 2 golden reindeer, one with a red nose, 3 green glittered stands, and 1 sleigh, glittered with gold runners, a red sleigh, and green trim on the sleigh. Oh, and carpet, pants, hair, CATS, fabric, and a desk coated with gold, green, and red glitter. Yes, the cats sparkle. They did not look amused when Mommy was grinning at them last night, and oohing and aahing over how pretty they were.

Yes, it's everywhere, as the title of the post might suggest. I was SO careful with it, and yet, it was everywhere. Just... everywhere. I'm suddenly very hungry. And re-thinking my love of Glitter. I mean, I love me some serious Sparkle. LOVE LOVE LOVE sparkle. Always have. My mom called me gaudy when I was a kid, for my love of anything that sparkled. Well, I did not out grow it. Until today, maybe.

That's not fair. I still love glitter. I just have no desire to work with it again. I was meticulous when I cleaned up- sweeping the glitter into piles, and trying to get it back into minuscule containers. I have a nearly full container of red/gold/green combo glitter.

-sigh-

And the sick thing is, I can't bloody well wait to use it on something.

I have a problem. The first step is admitting it.


http://media-files.gather.com/images/d825/d110/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d822/d110/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d826/d110/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg













DIY Day @ ASPTL

9 comments:

Kim said...

So cool !!!!!!!! Now I have to send Sissy to see if she can find some lol

Unknown said...

Cute! I have this little reindeer set and now you've inspired me!!

Amanda said...

I think it's lovely! I've crackled some paper mache reindeer before and they were really cool :)

Shirley said...

They turned out really cute. Love sparkles!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a fun craft! I have moments like that all the time. Moments when I wonder -- what was I thinking?? There just isn't enough time in the day to get everything done - especially when you have kids - lol!

Love the glitter! Thanks for linking this up!

XOXO
Jen

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Ooooh...glitter!

Angie Holden said...

So pretty....glittery!! ;)

Expressions by Heather said...

Thank you everyone! I do love the finished look of them. Just sparkly enough for me ;)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love the glitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!