For today's post, I'm featuring a trio of Dollar Store crafts I did over the weekend. All small, quick projects, but fun! First up is a craft I made for this week's challenge over at Dollar Store Crafts. The challenge required the use of place mats.
We've seen purses, pillows, even diaper wipe covers made from them. I didn't want to do something I've seen before, but I was stumped. Finally, I saw something in the store that was perfect- belts. Thus, my idea was born.
Dollar Store Beach Bag
2 woven belts
2 woven placemats
10 minutes- yes, 10 minutes.
- First, cut the end tab and the buckle off the belt. I cut a bit of excess off at the buckle, in case I find a use for them at some point.
- Pin the placemats wrong side out together, end to end. Sew the short ends together.
- These belts were so thick, I could not pin the belts into place. I had to hold them into place as I sewed. I did my best to match them- you'll see how well THAT went later. I just sewed them so that the two ends were both on the same side of the placemat- it forms an upside down U so that the "handles" go all the way down the bag. Did that make sense?
- Once the handles are sewn on both sides, turn the bag inside out again, and just do a quick zig zag across the bottom. I clipped the corners to try and get straight corners when I turned it right side out. I failed.
This was SUPER easy, and is somewhat customizable, though it really depends on the colors of place mats available at any given time, and the availability of the belts. You could mix and match colors, or check your local thrift store, as well.
$4 total- $1 each for place mats, and $1 each for 2 belts.
Want some cute Flip Flop appliques on your bag? Check out the tutorial I made for that! I added cute little Flip Flops to my bag today, and posted all about it.
Next, how about some SUPER quickies?
Flower & Butterfly Magnets
Sheer Butterflies (2 large for $1 or 3 medium for $1 at DT)
Ribbon & Flower sets ($1 for 2 ribbons & a few assorted single color flowers at DT)
Magnets (a great way to use up promotional magnets!)
- First, the butterflies each have wire on the back- clip that off with the wire cutters, or OLD, CRAPPY scissors (not new ones, or good ones!!)
- Add a dot of hot glue to a magnet, and press the butterfly onto a magnet.
- For the flowers, I did 2 layer, 2 color flowers. Glue a small flower onto a larger flower, then glue it onto a magnet.
These will be another magnet set for my niece Alex's magnet board that I made for her birthday!
And for 1 last Dollar Store craft...
These are something cute I found on the DSC's website, and they were too adorable not to make! Especially since I had EVERYTHING on hand! I had extra egg picks from making a quick wreath, so waste not, want not!
Egg Picks, or Plastic Eggs
Pom Poms- White & colors
Felt- White & colors
- Cut bunny ears in 2 colors, with white being smaller than the color. Glue the smaller portion onto the larger portion.
- Glue the ears to the egg on the backside, so the white middle is showing to the front.
- Take 2 white pom poms and 1 colorful pom pom. Glue them together in a triangle.
- Glue the triangle to the bottom front of the egg, with the color forming the top point of the triangle.
- Glue two google eyes to the front of the egg, above the triangle.
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat! You're done!
FREE or up, depending on what you have on hand! I was able to make 5!
Don't they look cute in my flowers? I had stuffed all the fake flowers I had into a vase simply for storage. I did the same with the bunnies, but now? I think they'll wind up going on the table on Easter Sunday.
This post is linked up at the link parties listed here.
Now... without further ado.... Talented Tuesday!
1) Post a blog about something you've made- a refurnish, recipes, a craft project, a sewing project, room decoration, anything you've done!
2) Add a link to your blog post- not to the blog itself, but to the individual posts! You can post more than one project, just add more links! The links should look something like:
and NOT like this:
3) Add the code below to each post you link to the MckLinky, so that others can post their projects here as well! The list will accept new links through Saturday, so if you make something new, come back and post it! Don't forget to look at the links on the list, and let people know where you found their post at!
This MckLinky will remain open and accepting links through Thursday evening!!