Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thanksgiving Place Cards

Tonight, I made a gorgeous wreath using harvest colored Christmas ornaments. When I was done, I was left with 6 ornaments, 3 in a muted gold color, 2 in burgundy, and 1 that was much more red than the burgundy. Because I needed my glue gun, I uncovered a small tub I had tucked away with odds and ends in it.

After finishing the wreath, I started to sort through the tub, and clean & organiz
e it somewhat. In the process, I found 3 packs of fake autumn leaves I had picked up to use last year. I also uncovered a metallic gold paint marker. I was messing around with the leaves, and drew gold lines along the veins of the leaves, then I got an idea.

Why not glue several leaves together, then add one of the ornaments to the top? And my lovely little Thanksgiving Place Cards (I use that term loosely, as they are not cards at all) were born.

I just love them, and they are VERY inexpensive to make!

Thanksgiving Place Cards

You'll Need:
Shatter Proof Ornaments in Harvest Colors
Fake Fall Leaves
Glue Gun
Metallic Gold Paint Marker


Total Cost:
For me, I used only left overs from past projects, so while I paid for the items, the costs were accounted for already, so.. free. The ornaments can be found at Dollar Tree in packs of 5 for $1 ($.20 each). The leaves can also be found at some Dollar Tree's in packs of around 30
for $1. I used 3 per grouping, costing roughly $.03 each. That would make each one roughly $.23 to make.
  1. Glue leaves in a grouping of 3-4. I used 3, so they line the front and sides, but not the back.
  2. Using the paint marker, draw along the veins of the leaves, for a bit of glitz.
  3. Spread hot glue along the top in a slightly curving line, and glue the ornament with the hook side down against one end. This helps stabilize it.
  4. Carefully pick it up, and if it's not too hot, use your finger along the under side to tack the leaves securely against the bulb
I made 5, as there are 5 of us. The last ornament was too red, I thought, to really look great against the leaves. I do wish I had an orange ornament or two left, though, but they are all on my wreath.

2 comments:

Rachel@AllFreeHolidayCrafts said...

Hi Heather! These are so cute and I love how thrifty they are! I just linked to your post from my site:

http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Fall-Decorations/25-Cent-Autumn-Table-Acccents

Please let me know if it's okay to link to you like this in the future.

Thanks!
Rachel

Mom2347 said...

These are adorable!! I'm surprised you haven't gotten any more comments. Just posted to Google+.