Monday, January 4, 2010

Home Sewn Socks in 2010


Last week, as I sat shivering in the cold Michigan winter, I lamented how quickly soft fuzzy socks lose their fuzz, and shape. They are made for 1 size fits all, but let's face it, they get stretched out quickly, because they are made to stretch up to a size 10 foot, which my feet are not.

I marveled at how soft and warm and cozy my scarf arm warmers were, and was struck by inspiration. Surely these dollar store scarves would work for socks, too, right?

I had some scarves left over from my Christmas projects (and, I'll admit, I'm contemplating picking up 2-3 more to have on hand for next year's crafts, in case they don't get them in again), and started to think. Of course, today was my first day kid-free (though, Nick took today off as one of his floating holiday days, so I wasn't husband free), and I decided a few minutes ago to try my hand.

My first idea was to cut the material at an angle, so there was a definite foot section, and definite leg section. I wasn't sure just where to perform the cut, though, so I opted to first sew a tube, with one end sewn shut. I'm glad I didn't cut it.

I worried that without elastic, there would be nothing to hold my new socks up, but the stretch around my legs did that just fine. I worried that it wouldn't fit, but a quick check with my actual arm warmers showed that it would indeed stretch enough to fit around my feet.

And, here I sit, warm and cozy with my 10 minute home made fuzzy socks that cost me just $1.



How did I make them? See below.

Homemade Fuzzy Socks

You'll need:
1 skinny, fuzzy scarf from Dollar Tree
Sewing Maching
Feet, to try them on


  1. Cut the scarf in half. The ends of these scarves have a solid block of color, where as the in betweens of the scarf are striped. I opted to make the solid block of color my toe section. Forget measuring the scarf, as it will become shorter when it stretches as you pull it on.
  2. Fold the scarf in half. Yes, this makes it appear impossibly skinny for a human, adult foot, but I assure you, this is what you want. Pin it into place, then decide where you want the seam. I choose to have my seam run along the side of my foot, not under it, and I barely notice it. 
  3. Once you've decided where the seam will go, sew one end of the sock shut, rounding it off, and trimming the excess (otherwise, you get boxy toes).
  4. Sew straight down the open side, pulling the fabric to stretch it slightly as you do. This gives it a bit of elasticity for stretch.
  5. Trim the seam as closely as you can, along with the threads. Turn it inside out, stretch it open like you would a pair of tights, and start pulling it on. 

 

 These fit me snuggly, like no other socks ever do. They feel custom made to my feet! They are warm, and cozy, though maybe not as fuzzy as socks you buy for $3 a pair in the winter. I love them!

I wear a size 8 shoe. These fit me great, and have some extra stretch. I don't think anyone would have a problem with these fuzzy tube socks with size, because they stretch all the way around.  I did not stitch up the raw edge at all, because I didn't want it to constrict how wide the sock would open for me.


I have 1 scarf left. Maybe 2. My next plan is to make 1 scarf and some fleece into two pairs of slipper socks. It might not work for 2 pairs. We'll see!!

Linked up at:











The Girl Creative

















Making














20 comments:

Unknown said...

Those dollar store scarves are getting a work out this season! Those look so warm and cozy! Thanks so much for linking up.:)

Expressions by Heather said...

They are fantastic little scarves, that's for certain, but too thin to be used for warmth in the far reaches of the north. I just love them, though, for sewing!

Charity said...

What a clever idea. Great job

Grammy Pammy said...

Dollar Tree? I have to swing right by them today I will stop and get you a few!

matransplant said...

OMG-what a great idea! My daughter loves these socks but I don't want to pay 6-7$ a pair. Thanks again

Tiffany said...

Wow! So clever! Nice job on the socks. They look so warm and cozy!

CC said...

I just cam across your blog..and I love this idea. I love these socks..and in my area,they can cost from 5 to 10 dollars. This is a fantastic idea to not only to stay warm, but to save money. I've become a follower of your pretty blog, can't wait to see what you make next.

Expressions by Heather said...

Thank you everyone! I'm planning to make another pair today, but make them slightly shorter, and add a fleece cuff to them. I'll post my results!

Mom- if you find some, let me know! Mine was down to just a few last week, and I haven't had a chance to check yet this week :)

CROQ Zine said...

Awesome! I'm posting about these on dollar store crafts thursday!

Expressions by Heather said...

How fantastic, thank you! I can't wait to see it!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

love that idea!

MrsJenB said...

You are a genius!

And I'm a follower!

Anonymous said...

This is such a fabulous idea! I sure hope they have some scarves left so I can try it. :)

Helen said...

These are adorable !! Great idea. I just happen to come across your blog and love your ideas. Thanks

Diana said...

I bought two of the scarves yesterday to try this (Minneapolis stores seemed to still have plenty). Quick question: doesn't the cut edge unravel? I'd hate to pull them on only to have them come apart in my hands... Such a cute idea! :-)

Expressions by Heather said...

Thank you everyone!

Diana- it hasn't for me yet. I wear them at night as the house gets cooler, so I've worn them quite a bit with no issues at all. I've found it easiest to fold the top down after I pull them on, like ankle socks for kids.

Its So Very Cheri said...

You are sooo clever.

cheri

Julie said...

Love the stripes...I was recently informed by a ground of 6th graders that patterned socks are back. They would think these are too cool! Thanks for posting to Made it Monday! Jules

Emily said...

I tried this with a scarf I already had and it came out great! :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/32019186@N00/4269438658/?eOrig=4269404914

If you have bigger feet, look for a slightly wider scarf and you'll be set. :)

Anne said...

I never would have thought to do that - what a great idea!