Monday, February 1, 2010

LOVE is in the Air

Yesterday, we took the Christmas items down, and as we sorted things out, I got a few ideas. It seems stores are marketing towards more and more holidays, with more and more decorations available all year round. And pricey! I just can't stand the thought of spending $10 on a decoration that might hang in my house for 2-3 weeks out of the year. I can't do it, so I don't.

Instead, I scan clearance sales, yard sales, and thrift stores, and I come up with a lot of things on my own as well. Yesterday, I posted about my new heart shaped wreath, which I made from 2 Dollar store candy canes I got on clearance for $.50 each.



After that, we were taking down the white tree, and deciding it's fate. The cats kept climbing it this year, and it's such a lightweight tree, that it did not handle the abuse well. Most of the lower branches are bent to a point where trying to bend them back would likely snap them off.

I decided to just pitch it, but at the last minute, saved the top section to reuse next year as a mini tree (which brings my tree count to 1 full size, and 3 mini's). While we were putting it away, I joked about how it would make a cute Valentine's Day tree. And, it did- but more on that later.

I wound up making another wreath yesterday, this time just a circular one from one of those wooden wreath forms at Dollar Tree. Of course, I was so excited to get started, that I failed to take pictures.


 
What I used:

1 "grapevine" (except, not actual grapevine) wreath from Dollar Tree
1 long strand of really old, overly used red garland from the Christmas Crap pile
1 foam "LOVE" shape, bought on clearance for $.10 at CVS a few weeks ago
1 section of hot pink tulle that I've had for years

Cash wise, this puppy set me back $1.10. I won't factor in the cost of garland headed for the dumpster, or an itty bitty section of tulle from a large roll I found at a thrift store 4 or 5 years ago.

I wrapped the wreath with my old red garland (seriously, it was so old, some spots were devoid of tinsel). I came up just a bit short, so in the area where I was planning to attach the LOVE foam, I spread it out thin.



I then hot glued the LOVE foam piece on it, and attached the pink tulle to the top, tied part if it in a bow, and used the streamers to tie it to the curtain rod.



Originally, my Ribbon & Tulle wreath was in that place, but it was much larger, and the tulle really fascinated my cats. 3 separate times over the course of 2 days, I came out to find it no longer hanging, with 1 or 2 cats tearing at it. Thankfully, it survived just fine, and I moved it back to it's place in the front door window.



So far this year, I've done up a nice little batch of Valentine's Day crafts:

Ribbon & Tulle Wreath
LOVE Banner
Candy Basket
Heart Placemats
Candy Cane Wreath
Garland Wreath

I'm just feeling so stinking crafty and sweet about Valentine's Day this year! Check back later this week for more projects I've worked on.


This post is linked up at the link parties listed here

Check back on Tuesday to link up with Talented Tuesdays at My Frugal Family!

10 comments:

Heidi said...

I Like it! That foam "love" is so cute too! Glad to know I'm not the only one with cats who think anything in the house is fair game!!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

All those wreaths are lovely and unique! Love the long, skinny heart and bright LOVE wreath!

Andrea said...

Love them all! Great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Cute wreaths! I am loving wreaths right now too!

Old Time Cindy said...

Thrifty ideas. And I had to laugh about your cats. I have to always consider my cat critic when I decorate...no feathers, no beads, no...oh you get the picture.
Cindy at Lakewood

Heidi said...

You've come up with some really clever craft projects. The wreaths add a lot to the festivities!
I am impressed with your goal to do a craft a week. Seems like you're sticking to it. Good for you!
I'd love it if you'd drop by for a visit sometime.
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

So Sunny Day said...

Love the glam of the new tinsel wreath.

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Beansieleigh said...

Wow.. These are all really cute! I've always loved that you can make out well on all the clearance REDS just in time for Valentine's Day! I went to my local dollar store today and got a good number of Christmas clearance items for ONE PENNY A PIECE! Now THAT was a sale I couldn't resist! I got my basket and filled her up!! ~tina

Sandra said...

Fun wreaths and makeovers...thanks for sharing...come say hi sometime.

Lori said...

You are so crafty... Love all of your things...

thanks again for joining "get your craft on"