Monday, February 22, 2010

Top O' The Morning

Good Morning (again)!

This morning, I worked on a wreath for St. Patrick's Day. I love how it turned out, but I'm kind of sad I can't hang it outside to show off. It's too cute to keep hidden! Maybe I'll hang it outside on the 17th, if it's not too wet out.

St. Patrick's Day Wreath for $3.75

You'll Need:
8 sheets of felt- I used 2 sheets each of white, lime green, kelly green, and forest green. $2 @ 4/$1 not on sale
Green Marabou trim- Clearance at 75% off- $.75
Foam Wreath Form- Dollar Tree- $1
Ball Point Pins- On hand (I've heard that the flat end pins hurt your thumb after a while of pushing them in!)

  1. Find something circular to use, and draw as many circles as you can on your sheets of felt. I used a smaller than average size spool of ribbon, and was able to get 12 circles. Anything larger will likely yield less. Smaller, and I could have easily gotten 16, but I don't know how smaller circles would have looked. Cut the circles out.
  2. Fold a circle in half. Fold that half into thirds. Pinch it together, and use a pin through the bottom to attach it to the wreath. You could also use hot glue and a pen or pencil to glue the circles straight to the wreath if you are so inclined, but I imagine it would take more work.
  3. Fill out the wreath. I added a line around the edge to hide the green florist foam I used for the wreath. If you use a wreath form that's rounded, and not flat like mine, you could wrap the form in ribbon first, and you wouldn't have to add extra circles.
  4. Once that was done, and all my circles were gone, I dug out a spool of marabou "ribbon" trim I got on clearance after Christmas for 75% off. I ran it around the edge of the the wreath twice, pinning the rope to the form. I repeated this on the inside. The fur doesn't show up real great from the front, but it completely covered the edges of foam that were visible. 
I was going to add a bow, but I didn't have anything on hand that really matched, and was wide enough ribbon to show up good. I like how it looks without a bow, though. I had also picked up little plastic green "coins" at Big Lots to use, but decided not to.

This style of wreath has been all over the blog world over the past month, so it's hardly original. In fact, Heidi at Craft Monkey did one very similar to mine back before Valentine's Day, instead of doing a red, white, and pink one.


 
  
  
 

This post is linked up at the link parties listed here.




38 comments:

Patricia said...

this wreath is wonderful!!!

Kathleen said...

Very cute! I'm working on a St. Pat's wreath wit a totally different look...but may need one like this, too!
Kathleen
http://www.firefliesandfamily.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I LOVE this. I have never made a wreath of any kind (sad, I know!) but this is so adorable, I may have to give it a go. The fur is too cute!!

Heidi said...

Your wreath looks great! Love the feather trim. I made one similar to it last month. http://thecraftmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/01/top-o-mornin-to-ya.html

Laura said...

Your wreath is so cute! I found your blog through "Making the World Cuter." I linked up my St. Patty's Day wreath as well.

Bab's Kitchen said...

How cute, and very creative.

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

omg love it!!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

So cute!! FYI I saw dress-up toy feather boas in the toy aisle at Dollar Tree...

Kaysi said...

How fun! I love it!

Expressions by Heather said...

Thank you everyone!

Heidi- that's the one I was thinking of!! I posted a link in the post to it :)

Heather- that's right, they do!! I want to make a similar one for indoor for Easter, so I'll be checking them out (as soon as we're not snowed in, and I have a working car...) Thanks!

Dena Pickle said...

Love it!!! Thanks for sharing!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

So festive and cute! Thanks...

Kimberly said...

So fun!

Sandy said...

just love your wreath...

Sandy

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Embellished Bayou said...

That is so cute! I love the feather trim.

Barbara Jean said...

wow! That is one bright and cheery green wreath!

Looks like you are doing a good job keeping up with your 1 craft each week in 2010!
Good for you, and so fun isn't it?

blessings

barbara jean

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That's beautiful! Love all the shades of green

CamelsNDragons said...

I absolutely love the feathers. That's what takes it to the next level of trendy design vs just "cute". I keep resisting the urge to buy a feather wreath. Now I am inspired to make one myself.
I am impressed you did it so cheaply too. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

mymommymakesit.
making toys from recycled items to save my sanity and the planet

Amanda said...

That is so beautiful! I don't think I've ever connected fancy and St. Pat's, but you achieved it!

michele said...

normally i wouldn't really "decorate" for st. patrick's day....but this wreath was too cute not too! i made one and linked back to you...you can check it out here:

http://mfnusz.blogspot.com/2010/02/top-o-mornin-wreath.html

thanks for the inspiration!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Ooooh...soooo PRETTY! Come by and check out my CASH GIVEAWAY...I think you will like it:)

Blessings,
Linda

Maria@ChicaBellaCrafts said...

I like your wreath, it's girly with the boa, it's fresh, it's modern. I like all the textures you incorporated and the white makes the green stand out more, just the right balance. I'm going to try it for mother's day with pink and black. Thanks for such a great idea.

Sandra said...

Great wreath idea...never would of thought of using those items together...when you get a minute come say hi.

Jenny said...

Your wreath is so fun! Great job!

Sara said...

That is so cute!! I've been looking everywhere for a St. Patty's wreath. Thanks for the inspiration!

Rachelle said...

That's so cute! I just commented on the other post about our snow storm and then noticed your in MI too! Did you get it bad?

Ehh our driveway's still full of snow!

LOVE the wreath! My kids would adore that for St pattys day! They know once the green hits the leprechauns are about to show up! So silly! I'm going to have to steal this one!

Rachelle

Expressions by Heather said...

We got about 18" over all, but didn't get hit as hard the past couple of days. It's supposed to warm up soon, though, so I anticipate a melty, muddy mess!

Thank you everyone- I really like the wreath, and I'm glad so many of you do as well!

Andy Porter said...

What a cute wreath! Great idea. I love your box too!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Heather!!

Cute cute wreath. I love it! I am linking it up to my Friday Favorites. I hope you don't mind!

Adorable!

XOXO
Jen

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Very very cool! I love the felt flowers on it! : )

The Charm of Home said...

Oh, very nice! Love the great green shades!

Tiffany said...

Way super cute! Love the featheries!
-Tiff

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Heather,
I love this!! So cool. So glad you linked up so that I can feature this fab project ;)
happy crafting,
Linda

Sew Can Do said...

Pretty, pretty. And a great idea for any colors to make seasonal ones!

girlofgrace said...

I just love it! Do you think it can be sprayed with something to make it durable for outdoors??

girlofgrace said...

I just love this! I am inspired! Do you think you could spray it with something to make it okay for outdoors?? I can't think of the name of this possibility!?

Anonymous said...

How much felt did you use and did you just use the pen to poke the felt thru? I really want to make this.

Expressions by Heather said...

@Anon- I used 8 sheets of felt total (regular size sheets). For attaching them, I used a ball pin and pinned each one into the foam.

You could use the tip of an ink pen or pencil to push them in, and add glue to the felt maybe, though.