No-Sew Triangle Snowman
- 1 sheet white felt
- Cotton batting
- Hot glue gun
- 2” x 4” piece of scrap felt
- 1” x 10” piece of scrap felt
- A scrap of yarn
- Ribbon scrap
- 2 buttons
- Black and orange acrylic paint
- Print the pattern, or if you feel confidant, cut a diamond shape from felt. With the pattern supplied, 1 sheet of felt will only make 2 snowman. These are pretty big snowmen, though, so I think you could easily go smaller.
- Plug in the hot glue gun to start warming up.
- Pin the pattern to the felt, and cut out the diamond shape.
- Cut out a long strip of felt in 1 color for the scarf. Fringe both ends.
- Cut a rectangle of felt in the same color or another color for the hat. Fringe one of the long sides.
- Once the glue gun is warm, glue up the sides of the diamond, and fold together, leaving the pointed end open to stuff. The original instructions say to turn the triangle inside out, but I did not do this, I just left if the way it was.
- Stuff the triangle, and glue the top seam together.
- Using the head of a pin, dip it in black paint, and make two eyes near the top of the triangle. Below that, use a new pin head to dip into orange paint and make a carrot nose. You could use black for a "coal" nose instead. Let dry.
- Take the rectangle piece, and fold the un-fringed side to glue, so the hat has a folded edge similar to a stocking hat. Once it's glued, fold the hat together, and glue the seam together. Use the piece of yarn to tie the top of the hat just below the fringe, to create a fringed puff on top.
- If the face is dry, slip the hat on the head, and glue it into place.
- Wrap the scarf around the neck of the snowman, and glue it into place.
- Arrange the buttons, and glue them into place on the front of the snowman.
- Lastly, make a loop from the scrap of ribbon, and glue it to the back of the snowman's head, to hang the ornament from.
While this was certainly an easy ornament to make, the hot glue means it isn't necessarily a kid friendly craft, at least not for young kids. Aside from that, hot glue on felt, with batting makes a gooey mess of fluff.
I would sew this in the future myself, replacing the hot glued seams with sewn seams. However, for the sewing challenged, it is still very doable without a needle and thread.