Friday, January 1, 2010

Crafting Wishlist for 2010

In 2010, I want to expand my horizons, so to speak. Here are a few items on my wish list for this year.

1. An electric sander- I want to try my hand at refinishing furniture
2. A real power drill- I have a rotory tool, but it doesn't have the UMPH or size a drill can provide.
3. A staple gun- this goes hand in hand with number 1, though honestly, I only want to use it for doing fabric on wood, like turning a coffee table into a bench for the entrance way, etc.
4. Some wood- to finish off the back of a huge shelf we have, which is almost bare. It has 1 support beam, which makes the shelf sit 2 inches from the wall, so things fall off the back. I will then take the shelf hostage for my craft area storage.
5. A better storage system- this goes hand in hand with number 4, I suppose.
6. More mod podge- looove it!
7. A million dollars- to fund the above, and more.

Specifically, I want to turn a coffee table into a bench for the back door. I've been looking for a bench for 2 years with no luck. Now, I'm skipping the whole bench idea, and making one, since old coffee tables are pretty easy and cheap to come by. It want to sand it down, paint it, add foam to the top, and cover the foam with a nice fabric. This will serve to let the kids have a place to sit when they take shoes off, and give them a place to stash said shoes under it.

We have a bookshelf I found at Goodwill when we moved into our house. We needed movie storage badly. It's about 6 feet long, and probably 5 feet tall. The back is wide open, except one board running from top to bottom right in the middle. It's a thick board, and means the shelf sits an inch or two away from the wall. I want to remove that, and affix plywood to give it a full back, then sand down and paint the entire shelving unit.

I have 2 dressers in our back room that we use for storage. Both are such fantastic units, though, and rather old. Both would look fabulous in my bedroom, when I get it done. But, both have layers and layers of paint on them. So, they need to be sanded down, primed, and painted. I tried painting one of them, but the paint bubbled up. In retrospect, I didn't think to sand down the top where it has a laminate like finish. I have some cool scrapbook paper, so I want to mod podge the tops of both dressers, to make them match.

I want to get a bed frame for my bed. Yes, our bed is on the floor. We had a frame for it. Three years ago, we relocated from up north to down here. The night we moved in, we didn't set the frame up, we just dumped the mattress and box frames on the floor. It was a lot more comfortable. We kept it that way. Now? It feels a little like a college kid's first apartment.

I have never repainted our bedroom. It was high on the priority list when we moved in, but still has never been done. I am NOT good with home projects. It needs paint. It's pistachio green. The closet doors have other children's hand and feet prints painted on them. In hot pink, teal, and yellow. Clashes horribly with the walls, but also, it's kind of creepy.

So, for the bedroom-
  • Empty the room, pitch 50% of the stuff "stored" (but really just stashed) in ther.
  • Paint the room dove gray or tan. Not sure which yet. Paint the master bath the same color.
  • Get a bed frame, use it. Put on the lovely bed set.
  • Make a scrapbook paper headboard.
  • Swap out the old & busted dressers, and put in the new hotness dressers.
  • Organize the closets much better.
  • Decorate the room with candles, picture frames, etc.
  • Sit back, and bask in your awesomeness.
These are my goals. I hope to have that room done by December 31st, 2010.

What are your goals for 2010? Add your list of projects for 2010, or projects you completed in 2009 in the MckLinky below, and add the code below to your post!

Photobucket






2 comments:

Gwen said...

Just picturing your closet is creeping me out.Strange kid's feet and hands.... Let's get that painted!

A source for wood might be your local lumberyard, if you have one. Mine often has pieces that have been cut or have other issues for nothing.

Good goals

Expressions by Heather said...

The sad thing about the hand & feet is that I've gotten used to seeing it. They're just horrible to begin with, from a design angle, but they're not even MY kids hands & feet. So horrible.