Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Grocery Savings

Tonight was that magical time where we are 3 days away from pay day, and we, of course, ran out of a few key items that would be needed before grocery day this weekend.

I checked out the blogs, and Savings Angel, found some coupon deals, and off I went.

I needed:

Bread
Trash Bags
Paper Towel
Lunch Baggies

I wanted:

Coffee mate Creamer
Spaghetti-o's

So, what all did I end up with?

Bread- $1.50 (ugh)
4 cans of Spaghetti-o's- $.50 each, plus a coupon for $1/4, so end price- $.25 each
3 liquid flavored Coffee Mate creamers- $.99 each, plus 2 coupons for $1/1, and 1 coupon for $1/2, for 3 FREE creamers
3 18-count boxes of Peppermint Candy Canes- $.39 each (these are for a Valentine's Day project, in which you melt two together into a heart shape, add a candy stick, and wrap them up as Valentine's Suckers)
1 2-Pack of Viva Paper Towel (My favorite!) on sale for $2.99 (this was cheaper than the store brand, and the rolls were bigger!)
1 box of lunch baggies- $1.50
1 box of trash bags- $2.99
Egg Nog- clearanced out at $1 for being close to the sell-by date (it won't last through tomorrow, let alone all weekend to the sell date)
Nutrigrain Yogurt bars- $1.49 on clearance
Yogos- $1.20 on clearance
Fruit by the Foot- $1.24 on clearance.
1 package of 6 sheets of Christmas Stickers for next year- $.37?

I wound up spending $18.21, and saving $19.96.

I got a coupon for $1 off 2 packs of fruit snacks. When I go back this weekend, I'll grab more of the clearance one's if I can. If I buy 3, I'll get a catalina for $1.50 off my next shopping trip. I've currently got 2 $1 coupons like that. So, if I buy 3 of them at $1.20-$1.24, save $1 off the immediate price, plus the 2 $1 coupons I have, I'll get 3 for the price of $.60-.72 total, and still have $1.50 off my next purchase. 

It pays to look around before going in to the store. I wouldn't have picked up the creamer or the Spaghetti-o's if I hadn't seen the sale price, and found the printable coupons. But, for $1, I got 4 cans of spaghetti-o's and 3 containers of creamer, which Nick goes through pretty quickly. It's expensive, though, for how fast it gets emptied out, so it's a treat.

Now, I spend $20 a month on my Savings Angel membership, but I saved $20 in just 1 visit, and it wasn't even my big visit. On top of that, I earn a $10/month commission because I have had 2 people sign up for SA under me. So, really, I spend $10/month is all. And, when the referral signs up and pays for their membership, you earn a $10 commission, so I was given $20 this month for those two members- so this month was free!

What deals have YOU found lately on groceries?

2 comments:

Grammy Pammy said...

Awesome!

Monique LaLonde said...

amazing. let me know what to sign up under for savingsangel. I might have to do it. We REALLY have to buckle down now.